Conditions, complaints and ailments that Sulph may be indicated for:
Abscesses/boils. Allergies/hay fever. Anaemia. Anxiety/fear. Aphthae. Arthritis. Balanitis. Bedwetting. Belching. Birth. Bleeding gums. Blepharitis. Blisters. Blushing. Breastfeeding. Bronchitis. Bursitis. Cellulites. Chickenpox. Cold. Colic. Conjunctivitis. Constipation. Cough. Cramps. Cystitis. Dandruff. Depression/downhearted. Diarrhoea. Dizziness. Earache. Eczema. Erysipelas. Exhaustion. Eye inflammation. Eye injuries. Eyestrain. Fever. Flatulence. Flu. Foot sweat. Ganglions. Genitals. Grinding teeth. Gout. Haemorrhoids. Hair loss. Hangnails. Headache. Head injury. Heartburn. Hernia. Herpes. Hoarseness. Hot flashes. Impetigo. Impotence. Indigestion. Injections/vaccines. Involuntary defecation. Involuntary urination. Iritis. Irritability/anger. Itching. Joint pain. Joints/limbs. Keratitis. Lung affections. Lymphangitis. Measles. Menopause. Migraine. Morning sickness. Mouth ulcers. Mumps. Nail infection. Nails. Nosebleeds. Oral thrush. Otorrhea. Palpitations. Peptic ulcer. Period/menses. Perspiration. Phimosis. Pimples. Pneumonia. Polyps. Pregnancy. Prickly heat. Prostatitis. Puerperium. Reflux. Retinitis. Rheumatism. Ringworm. Scabies. Sciatica. Seborrhoea. Sepsis. Sinusitis. Skin. Skin eruptions. Sleep apnoea. Sleep disturbance. Sneezing. Sore throat/tonsillitis. Sprains. Stiff neck. Stiffness. Strains. Styes. Tinnitus. Toothache. Trembling. Twitching. Urinary tract infection. Urine retention. Varicose veins. Voice loss. Vomiting. Warts. Wounds/cuts.
Made from sulphur (the element).
- Hate standing
- Burning pains
- Revolting, excoriating, burning discharge
- Warm-blooded, wants doors and windows open (but may be chilly)
- Affinity for (among other things) skin; digestion
Sulph is well-known for its effect on eczema and skin eruptions. But, aggravations of skin ailments may be severe – so, it is wise to receive qualified homoeopathy guidance when selecting remedy, potency and dosage.
In acute ailments that do not respond well to indicated remedies, Sulph may be useful for the re-emergence of symptoms: as, in homoeopathy, Sulph is known for its centrifugal effect – helping to throw symptoms from within outwards.
Sulphur occurs naturally in, and is an essential constituent of, all living tissues. It is one of the substances thrown out in volcanic eruptions, solidifying around the edges: much like Sulph-eruptions where the suppuration is aggravated by heat, oozes out and forms crusts on the skin.
Sulphur has been broadly applied medicinally, in e.g. prevention of epidemics: when they burnt sulphur in rooms occupied by sick individuals (burning sulphur creates sulphur dioxide, a potent disinfectant).
Sulphur has also been used for cleaning the digestive system/bowels, treating skin ailments, and – in conventional medicine – it has been included as a laxative agent, as well as been used for chronic bronchitis and rheumatism.
Sulph may be quite scruffy-looking. They may come across as dirty and messy, despite having just showered.
Two "types" have emerged in our Materia Medica, that those needing Sulph may resemble: one is outgoing, strong and solid; the other quiet and insecure; but, they are both uninterested in their own appearance.
Both can have red, dry, scaly skin that itches, burns and feels worse for washing. They may have dry, unruly hair. They are hungry and thirsty, especially late in the morning.
Their diarrhoea may drive them out of bed in the morning, having to hurry to the toilet; but they can also be constipated. The runny nose excoriates the skin. They easily become heated, and stick their feet out from the covers at night.
Sulph may be untidy, and hang on to all sorts of things: they do not wish to toss anything away, as their possessions are greater than anyone else's (in their own opinion).
They enjoy telling everyone else how they should live their lives. They want to know all the answers, are inquisitive and can be very demanding – but learn easily.
Sulph-types may be impatient, hasty and restless. They want to do everything themselves. Teenage-Sulph may be lazy and highly opinionated, while happily being on the receiving end of praise.
With a love of disputing and discussing for the sake of presenting their own arguments, they prefer winning: to avoid being shamed or diminished.
- Unsteady gait; unable to stand upright, stooping shoulders
- Hot head, cold feet; constant heat on vertex (Cupr, Graph)
- Puny, red face; red spots
- Cracked, dry, burning, bright red lips
- Grinding teeth
- Swollen, indurated glands; with suppuration
- Left-sided symptoms
- Foul, smelly, sour, watery discharge that excoriates the skin
- Extreme thirst, for large quantities of (ice-cold) drinks; water
- Great appetite, loves to eat
- Drinks a lot, eats little
- Bad breath; bitter, sweetly, sour, bad taste in the mouth; copious salivation with nauseating taste
- White coating on tongue, with red margins and tip
- Food tastes too salty, or like straw
- Craving for sweets (Arg-n); chocolate; ice-cream; condiments; spicy food; fat; alcohol (beer, whisky); meat; apples; raw foods
- Aversion to meat; eggs (especially soft yolks); fish; sour things; olives; squash; liver; (sweets); washing/bathing
- Sensitive to smells; others body odours (but loves their own)
- Ailments from weather changes from cold to warm; sun; chills; suppressed eruptions; alcohol; sprains; overexertion; strains; falls, blows; bedsores; reaching heights
- > fresh air; dry, warm weather; dry heat; motion; lying (on right side); perspiring; walking
- < winter; heat; warm bed; stuffy air; cloudy weather with the sun breaking through; sunshine; weather changes to warm; atmospheric changes; moisture; drafts; crossing running water; bathing/washing; vaccination; morning; at (10-)11 am; weekends; (in bed) at night; full moon; scratching; milk; sweets; alcohol; fasting; exertion; overexertion in bed; standing; stooping; stretching high; woollens; resting; talking; looking down; suppressed eruptions/discharge/haemorrhoids; menopause
Even though Sulph may be needed by various "types" of individuals (as with all remedies), they usually seem unkempt: especially children. No matter how often they wash and change clothes, there is still something dishevelled about their appearance. They may be indifferent to how they look, or simply not notice.
With their warm feet, Sulph may choose to wear sandals all year round. They may be lazy, and hate washing/bathing – which can make them feel worse, and not necessarily leave them looking cleaner.
Sulph slump down when seated, walk with stooping shoulders and always feel worse when they have to stand for long; so, they seek out a chair whenever possible.
When sick, their red faces and lips can become dry and cracked. The tongue is often coated white, with red margins and tip.
Sulph are extremely thirsty and drink copiously whether healthy or ill.
There is great sensitivity for heat, aggravation in stuffy air and when becoming overheated; they feel a lot better in fresh air.
Sulph's discharge is usually warm, smelly and burning. They perspire profusely and feel worse for it.
Sulph may be indicated for "neglected" colds, flus, sore throats, bronchitis, pneumonia; in warm, sweaty individuals who wear the same (old) clothes for days before remembering to change – and who's hair becomes oily, glued to their scalp.
The fontanelles of Sulph-babies may be slow to close.
Emotional, mental symptoms
- Irritable; angry
- Friendly, extrovert; critical; discontented; argumentative; stubborn
- Feels disgust: towards odours, objects or individuals
- Collects everything
- Impatient; restless; easily bored
- Bragging; ambitious, workaholics (Nux-v)
- Bites nails
- Anxiety about health; injuries; family; in evening
- Fear of heights; claustrophobia; failure; rejection
- Poor self-esteem; need for recognition
- Confusion; repeats question before answering; forgetful
- Melancholic; sadness from head injury, or during childbirth
- Tearful in menopause
- Indifferent to own appearance; lazy
- Lethargy in children
- Intellectual, philosophical, numerous theories
On the one hand, Sulph may be introverted, philosophical, reflecting individuals with a wish to dig deep into the secrets of the universe.
On the other hand, Sulph may be extroverted and practical, though just as idealistic: with many ideas, but too little time – or too great difficulty – to see them through.
Sulph-children are typically inquisitive, bright and, occasionally, a great toll on the parents' patience: who have to answer endless questions of "why…?" They enjoy the company of/being treated like adults, and find it unfair when they have to go to bed – despite the grownups continuing the conversation.
As Sulph become older, they have plenty ideas that they struggle to bring from dreamland into reality. They may be successful academics and/or unrealised dreamers; ragged philosophers; barefoot, scruffy hippies with endless ideals and theories.
Sulph may embark on many projects, without completing any of them; and the further away they are from realising their ideas, the sicker they become. The remedy may contribute to organising ideas, and thereby make decisions.
The lazy, sloppy and disorganised side of Sulph may give them a constant hasty and busy feeling – in which they do not really want to work at all.
Mess does not bother them, though they may have periodic impulses for (some) order; but, with their hoarding tendencies, they are unable to get rid of anything.
Sulph may be self-centred, egoistic, impatient, critical and seem like they think highly of themselves; with strong opinions of how others should live their lives, and how they themselves could do it better.
But, beneath the surface, Sulph are very sensitive to criticism, reprimands and insults. They may have all kinds of worries that churn in the evening, preventing sleep.
- Painful; recurring tendency
- With itching
- In rectum; on the neck
- Boils in soft tissue near finger-/toenails, with rapid swelling; redness; stiffness; burning stitching
- With symptoms of cold; eye inflammation
- Aching, sore, bruised pain; in lower part of spine; between shoulder blades
- Sensation of vertebrae gliding over each other, or crunching when bending backwards
- Weak, tired sensation in back; sagging down in chair; unable to stand uprights
- Pain in lower back (moving to the stomach), sciatica
- Pain in coccyx when passing stool
- With stiffness; weakness
- < after sitting long; rising from seated; bending down; standing; walking; during menses; at night; while urinating
- The pain forces them to stoop while walking, and they can only straighten after having moved. When sitting they use their hands to support the back.
- Swollen, bleeding gums
- With throbbing pain
- Small blisters, filled with pus; pustules
- Red, inflamed breasts; with boils
- The breasts may itch
- Cracked nipples, around the base; bleeding after nursing; with stinging and burning pain, spreading to the back
- Crusty, red, smelly eruptions/rash
- Cries after scratching
- < heat
- Smelly, dirty-yellow snot
- Runny, burning, purulent discharge, < outside
- Blocked nose indoors; alternating nostrils
- Dry, pale, itching nose; dry crusts
- Red, swollen nose tip/nostrils: < cold
- Frequent sneezing
- With eye inflammation; sinusitis (if Kali-bi does not help)
- The nose itches and is dry, with red nose tip. They easily get nosebleeds from blowing the nose. They may smell unpleasant odours.
- Sore, heavy abdomen; as from lump
- Sensitive for pressure
- Gallbladder colic
- Inner sensation of rawness and soreness; of something alive moving inside (Thuj); like child's fist
- Feels like the bowels are knotted: < bending forwards
- Cramping pain in diarrhoea
- > bending double
- < after food/drink; sweets
- Babies with colic who benefit from Sulph have big bellies and emaciated limbs.
- Large, hard, knotty, dry stool
- Frequent, ineffective, painful, burning straining
- Bearing-down sensation towards rectum
- With lasting odour that "follows them" around; haemorrhoids
- Habitual constipation
- Painful, irritating, tearing, suffocating, violent cough
- May come in bouts of two-three incomplete coughs
- Dry in evening/at night, loose in the morning/day
- Disturbs the sleep
- Green, sweetish mucus/expectoration; with pus
- Copious rattling from mucus in chest
- With raw, tickling sensation in larynx; congested, warm chest; rapid breathing; headache
- > fresh air
- < coughing; talking; lying down (on back); evening in bed; morning; 11 am; night; warm, stuffy air
- They wake from the cough with pain in the sides. The larynx feels irritated and raw, as if dust on it. They may struggle to breath in warm rooms, and feel better in fresh air – wanting windows open.
- In thighs, legs, (left) calves, soles of feet
- Involuntary contraction of hands, as if gripping for something
- < at night; in bed; when walking
- Burning, cramping pain; painless
- Slimy, smelly, sour, watery, mushy, greyish, frothy, thin, flat, changeable stools
- Only on waking; drives them out of bed
- Sudden, acute urge
- Itching or burning in rectum; > cold; < heat
- In children, with profuse perspiration, sleepiness, suppressed urination
- With smelly flatus
- Alternating with constipation
- From beer
- > passing wind
- < at 5(/6) am; morning; night; stand; milk
- They wake early with a sudden urge to stool, or the urge appears as soon as they get up. There is rumbling before, with pain in the belly before, during and/or after stool. The anus is sore and red afterwards, especially in children; who may retain the stool from fear of the pain. They may have several stools every morning. Foul stools: the whole family knows when Sulph is in/has been to the toilet.
- In frontal part of head
- As if swinging; standing on wobbly ground
- < standing; bending during headache; crossing river
- Aching, cutting, stitching, tearing pain
- Pus and suppuration, foul discharge; otorrhea
- With painful noises in ears; sensation of sound not entering through ears, but through forehead; loss of hearing due to discharge
- < left ear; noises
- There are roaring, humming and ringing sounds in the ear, which is more noticeable when lying in bed. External parts of the ear itches, and children's ears may be very red.
- From hunger; talking; walking
- < afternoon; heat from sun; talking
- Itching, runny, rough eyes; burning eyes (Ars, Bell)
- Painful inflammation from foreign body
- Bursting pain (in eyeballs); cutting pain as if from sand
- Iritis; retinitis (from eyestrain); keratitis
- The retina looks like grinded glass; opacity of vitreous body
- Sensitivity to light
- Blepharitis (eyelid inflammation); burning, red eyelids; itch only in daytime
- Conjunctivitis with sensation of sand or gravel in eyes; styes
- Burning ulceration on margin of eyelid; in retina
- Oily tears
- < washing eyes
- The eyes are glued together in the morning. They may be dry, as if sand in them; and runny in fresh air, with sensitivity to the sharp sunlight.
- Bleeding in retina
- Fluctuating, recurring fever
- Heat alternating with chills; chills spreading up the back
- Heat with general throbbing; between shoulder blades
- With dry skin; great thirst; perspiration; trembling
- < at night; thinking; perspiring; heat
- They feel chilly and warm interchangeably. The fever with perspiring comes on after they wake, or while lying in bed at night – if unable to fall asleep. They feel worse when perspiring, and are warm; especially on the soles of their feet, which they stick out from under the covers.
- Rumbling, gurgling, bloated belly
- Smelly, foul wind; odour of rotten eggs
- > passing wind
- Eruptions around genitals; herpes
- Impotence; lose erection
- Stitching pain in penis; cold penis
- Phimosis (narrowing of foreskin); balanitis; stiff, hard, leathery foreskin with copious smegma giving rise to itching
- Inflamed, swollen prostate; with burning sensation in prostate or urethra (on ejaculation)
- Hydrocele of scrotum
- Induration of testicles
- Exhaustion in morning after ejaculation
- Backache and weakness in limbs after sex (with sadness and irritability)
- Foul, yellow, slimy, burning, acrid discharge; itching and soreness in vagina, barely able to sit still
- Weak, bearing-down sensation in genitals: < standing
- With itching (when lying down)
- From giving birth
- Dry, cold, hard hair that falls off: < washing hair
- Burning, bursting, hammering, pressing, throbbing pain; in forehead, vertex
- Pressure in temples
- Recurring; in weekends
- Constricted sensation; as from band; feels congested/warm; pain deep in brain
- With nausea; dizziness; preceding light flashes
- From damp weather; winter; excited conversation
- > cold
- < after meals; bending down; rising/standing up; sneezing; blowing nose; coughing; in morning; 11 am; winter; odours
- They feel a constricting or tight sensation, as from a band or hoop. The head feels congested and warm, especially in bed or in stuffy air. The headache may recur weekly, especially on Sundays when they want to relax.
- In the diaphragm
- Sensation of a hernia about to develop
- Frequent hot flashes
- Violent heat, with ebullition, in whole body
- During menopause
- With profuse perspiration
- < perspiration; at 3-5 am (if wakes)
- Empty, sinking sensation in stomach around 11 am: have to eat something
- Empty, sour belches; heartburn; reflux; from nutritional deviation; < inflict pressure on stomach
- Belches tasting of rotten eggs: < eating, at night; acidic belches from milk
- Burning, painful, heavy pressure
- Feels filled up from drinking water
- Irritable, inflamed bowels
- < after meals; after milk; sweets
- They may suddenly feel starving in the late morning, after not wanting breakfast: and then have to hurry to eat in order to avoid faintness, weakness and headache. But, on the sight of food, their appetite may diminish again. The stomach feels full and heavy after meals, with lots of rumbling and gurgling.
- When sneezing or laughing; with flatus
- When passing wind or coughing
- Any cold settles in the bladder
- Children who are generally dry at night, but wet the bed when sick.
- Violent, voluptuous itching
- Burning after scratching
- Painful sensitivity to air, wind, washing
- From heat in evening; spring; damp weather
- < at night; warm bed; scratching; washing
- Burning feet; sticks them out from the covers, or searches restlessly for cold areas on sheet
- Warm, sweaty hands
- Weak neck muscles; children unable to hold head up
- Heavy, paralysed sensation of limbs
- Numb left arm, < lying; numb fingers
- Swollen joints, with fluids
- > pulling up affected limb/part
- Burning, tearing pain
- Left-sided (rheumatic) shoulder pain; drawing pain between shoulders
- Rheumatic gout with itching; arthritis
- > cold applications
- < walking; heat from bed; overheating
- There is sensation of heat in the joints, with general restlessness.
- Shooting pain that stretches to the back; < coughing, lying on back, breathing deeply
- Burning or cold sensation in chest (may stretch to the face); tight sensation, as from band or heavy weight on chest
- Weakness in chest when talking
- With shortness of breath; strenuous, irregular breathing at night
- Rattling in chest from mucus; pleuritic exudations
- Neglected pneumonia
- > open window; sitting up
- Violet, red, burning rash that is slow to develop
- With violent itching; cough; fever
- < warmth (bed, bath)
- Individuals who are slow to recover from childhood illnesses may benefit from Sulph: with soothing of the itching of measles, as well as from chickenpox if severe – with great redness and aggravation from heat. The child is typically restless, febrile and sweaty. Great thirst and hunger, but eats little.
- During pregnancy
- Thick, disfigured nails; especially toenails
- Ulceration (around) and infection of nails
- Dry nose with dry crusts, bleed easily
- < blowing nose; at night; lying on right side
- < in bed at night; sleeping; ascending
- Craving for sweets and chocolate before menses
- Indigestion during menses
- Headache before menses
- Late, short, sparse, difficult, thick, black, acrid menses
- Delayed, lacking or suppressed menses, from excitement
- Profuse, smelly, sour perspiration; from the least physical exertion; on single parts of the body, or one-sided
- In armpits, smell of garlic; on hands and feet
- Foul perspiration in groins; on genitals
- Copious night sweat; on neck and scalp; smell of sulphur
- Perspiration offers no relief
- Numerous oozing, sore, tender, raw, burning, bleeding, stinging; internal and external
- With prolapsed anus; constipation or morning diarrhoea
- During pregnancy
- Pimply eruptions
- On nose; face; back
- In nose
- Sepsis with high fever, profuse perspiration on entire body, tender abdomen, sleepiness
- Dry, scaly, cracked, unhealthy skin; easily develop eruptions
- Purulent, with air bubbles
- Abrasions in skinfolds (Lyc)
- Black pores on nose
- Cracks in/around rectum; redness around anus, with itching
- Dry, cracked, peeling palms
- Dandruff in scalp; dry, sweaty scalp
- Oily skin in scalp (seborrhoea); along margin of scalp; eyebrows
- Cellulites; lymphangitis; especially forearms
- Sensitivity to atmospheric changes
- Burning sensation, violent itching
- Eruption in scalp; along margin of scalp; dry ringworm in scalp
- Redness in skin, especially around orifices; defined redness of cheeks
- Blushing, inflamed skin in face
- Fiery red, dry, rough, cracked, burning, swollen (upper) lips
- Herpes across the nose
- Eczema around the navel; on eyelid; in palms
- Red, brown spots all over the chest
- Miliaria rubra; impetigo; (sneaking) erysipelas
- < heat; warm bed; night; bathing/washing; wool
- The eruption may alternate with other ailments. When they give in to the violent itch, severe burning sensations remain in the scratched area.
- Restless, disturbed, heavy, unrefreshing sleep; sleeps well for 3-4 hours, then wide awake, dozing for the rest of the night
- Unpleasant, vivid dreams; nightmares; especially when sleeping on the back
- Wakes frequently; late; not refreshed; from starting, screaming or singing
- Sleepy during the day; sleepless at night
- Sleep apnoea: jumps out of bed with choking sensation
- Laughing (Lyc), talking or singing during sleep
- Twitching during sleep
- Prefers sleeping on left side
- Sleepiness before migraine
- From anxiety; overactive mind; the least sound
- > short naps
- < 2-5 am
- They are tired on waking, no matter how much they sleep. During the day the feel sleepy, ameliorated by a catnap. At night their feet become warm and burning, so they stick them out from the covers – to cool them, but also to be able to sleep. They may wake very early, often due to cold; and then struggle to fall back asleep. Restlessness, with nightmares if sleeping on back. May be forced out of bed at 5 am to pass stool(s).
- Burning, raw, sore, stitching pain
- Dry, raw, burning throat; red external throat
- Sensation of lump, hair, splinter or ascending vapor; a ball rising and blocking the pharynx
- With swollen tonsils; deep, hoarse voice; voice loss; suffocative, swollen sensation
- < cough; swallowing
- The larynx feels dry, as from dust. The pain and rawness in the throat feel worse when coughing, and the voice is most hoarse in the morning.
- Especially knees and ankles
- Tight popliteus (muscle in posterior bend of knee) when bending
- Tense (left) posterior thigh muscles
- Stiff neck
- Twitching, shooting, throbbing pain; spreads to the ears
- Recurrent dental infections
- Sensitive, tender teeth
- From draft
- < fresh, cold air; washing in cold water; in bed at night
- In fever
- Trembling eyes/eyelids
- Twitching/trembling lips
- Dry, trembling tongue
- Trembling sensation of hands while writing
- In one leg on falling asleep
- Twitching from suppressed eruptions/rashes
Urinary tract infection
- Burning pain in urethra while urinating, persists long after
- Burning, copious, sparse, smelly, foul, slimy, brown (like ale) urine; large amounts of colourless urine
- Soreness of skin wherever the urine touches
- Thin, broken stream
- Discharge from urethra
- Frequent (especially at night), acute/sudden, painful, ineffectual urge to urinate
- < getting up in the morning; night; while urinating
- They must hurry to the toilet to prevent the escape of urine, but only pass drops/small amounts at the time when they are ready.
- Swollen veins in forehead
- Varices with ulceration; crack open and bleed
- Sour vomit; of undigested food
- In palms
- Any minor injury is infected
- Slow to heal, with suppuration
Would you like this remedy picture in pdf?
Buy me a tea/smoothie/lunch?
I appreciate your gift for the time, work and energy I share with you - if you wish, and have the means, to give a donation