Homoeopathy has a unique approach to health. We find the principles of homoeopathy among the writings of Hippocrates going back more than 2000 years.
Rather than depend on chemicals to extinguish unwanted symptoms, or force a specific response from the body; homoeopathy treats health issues by triggering the body's innate natural abilities for it to heal itself.
By doing this two things happens:
- The body is stimulated to relinquish conditions of imbalance and disease
- The body is strengthened and becomes more robust towards future health challenges
FAQ – frequently asked questions about homoeopathy
Homoeopathy is not as widely used in Norway as in other countries and parts of the world. Even though you might have heard the term "homoeopathy", or have some understanding of what it is about; it can still seem hard to get the grips on - if you yourself have not undergone four years of homoeopathy studies, or sought out a homoeopath to experience it yourself.
I have therefore gathered a few of the most frequent questions about homoeopathy (see below), to make it less cryptic for you: and to prepare you for what to expect if you wish to make use of homoeopathy services.
If you do not find answers to your questions, feel free to book a short consultation - and I will address your questions/concerns as best I can.
Homoeopathy is a branch of natural medicine where the aim is to stimulate and strengthen the innate ability that each and every one of us have, to heal ourselves.
The term homoeopathy is derived from Greek and means "similar to suffering": representing an old principle that "like cures like".
The German physician Samual Hahnemann experimented with administering small amounts of substances from minerals, plants and animals; having undergone a potensation process; for the complaints of his patients.
He chose substances that he discovered created similar symptoms in otherwise healthy humans. He worked systematically in this way, testing and developing a system of natural medicine that has been used for more than 200 years: homoeopathy.
Homoeopathic medicines are prepared by homoeopathic pharmacies. (thought it is possible to make them yourself, if you have the source-substance)
The substance is triturated (crushed with a mortar), diluted and vigorously shaken (potensised) many times in ethanol and water.
The homoeopathic medicines can be bought as sugar pills soaked in the various homoeopathic fluids, which can then be allowed to melt under the tongue, be dissolved in water or be bought as fluids and taken as drops/solved in water.
Homoeopathic medicines are also called homoeopathic remedies.
The actual mechanism of how homoeopathic medicines induce responses in the body is not known (yet). Clinical observations demonstrate again and again that the "like-cures-like"-qualities of the remedies trigger a response in the body, mind and soul: in a way that gradually relinquishes symptoms and ailments in a natural and gentle way.
Experience also shows that the better the chosen homoeopathic medicine suits the symptom picture as a whole, and the response patterns, the better the body manages to restore good health (over time).
My role entails noting down your physical, emotional and mental symptoms, in addition to personal characteristics and individual sensitivities.
After the consultation I analyse the information, and look for patterns that can lead me to a well indicated homoeopathic medicine - and strive to find that one remedy that best matches your health condition as a whole.
There are thousands of homoeopathic remedies. Fortunately, I have several models, references and softwares that I use to work myself towards the most indicated remedies and potency (strength) in each case. This is a learning process, and I get a deeper understanding and mastering of the process the more individuals I try to help; and the more seminars and post graduate events I participate in.
At the follow-up(s) I try to establish what changes have taken place since you took the homoeopathic remedy I recommended, and make adjustments in the remedy choice, potency and dosing - when indicated.
We observe an increase in wellbeing, optimism and health following a (well-chosen) homoeopathic medicine.
At times there is an initial homoeopathic aggravation following the remedy: this is interpreted as an initial response to the remedy, when the body is stimulated and work with the remedy to relinquish ailments and imbalances.
You may also experience a "spring cleaning" from the body after taking the homoeopathic remedy: in the form of a short-lived rash, a cold, or other ways the body chooses to detox.
Short-lived returns of previous symptoms and ailments can occur: when the homoeopathic medicine, together with the body, restores inner balance - and works through everything that is/has been of imbalances and disturbances. These are all part of an underlying pattern of reactions and inner sensitivities - that are unique for each and every one of us.
This is very individual, and not easy to predict.
In the first consultation I attempt to establish an estimated expected course, based on your health condition. When dealing with acute conditions, of higher intensity and with a quicker course, you can expect a more swift relieving of symptoms. In chronic conditions it takes longer until balance and good health is restored.
The course/process, and frequency of consultations, therefore varies. With disease states that have gained a deep foothold it may take several years before we consider ourselves done; but with the experience of positive changes only weeks after having taken (a well-indicated) homoeopathic remedy.
Often, the individuals who seek guidance from me have "attempted everything else" for their conditions; or want homoeopathy as a complementary approach.
The symptom picture is usually complex, and it takes a great deal of determination and patience from you - to reap the benefits that homoeopathy can bring.
Some have grown up with natural medicine, and are used to seek out natural therapies for their conditions. They come to see me before the symptoms have gained as deep a grip in them - which makes the way towards the best remedy, and the time it takes to see positive changes, less extensive.
People come to see me for a broad array of ailments: issues with digestion, sleep, muscles/bones, sensitivities to the(ir) environment, emotional-/mental challenges, infections, weakened immune system, pains and aches, skin issues, ... Homoeopathy can contribute for it all!
Several countries in Europe and the rest of the world know to appreciate homoeopathy's great potential as a system of medicine.
In Switzerland homoeopathy, acupuncture and herbal medicine are among the natural therapies side by side with conventional medicine in the countries compulsory health insurances: ensured by a referendum where 2/3rds of the population voted to include these. In addition, an evaluation ordered by the government shed light on these treatments' great results, cost-effectiveness and gentleness.
In Asian countries like Nepal, India and Bangladesh there are posts in the state budget that are solely about promoting homoeopathy as an important part of the countries' public health services.
If you would like to read about research on homeopathy, HRI's website is a good place to start!
Homoeopathy – for whom?
Are you one of those who have tried everything else for your conditions?
Do you wish to use homoeopathy alongside other approaches?
Your symptom picture may be complex, and you will need to invest determination and patience - and so will I - to reach the goals we set when we decide to work together, with homoeopathy as (one of) the tool(s);
Are you one of those lucky ones, having grown up with natural medicine as your go-to, and are used to utilising natural therapies for your complaints?
Then your symptoms may not have gained such a strong hold in you yet, and we can expect a shorter time-frame before they resolve
What kind of ailments can I use homoeopathy for?
People who come to see me have various ailments, including - but not limited to:
- digestive issues
- disturbed/poor sleep
- muscle-/skeletal issues
- sensitivity to the environment
- emotional-/mental challenges
- infections, weakened immune system
- pains and aches
- skin issues, ...
- homoeopathy can help with all of it!
Homoeopathy is a natural medicine that addresses your underlying pattern:
How you experience your symptoms, and your responses to stress/trauma, make up the foundation for which homoeopathic medicine you are recommended to take:
- There is no one remedy for a specific health issue: there is one indicated remedy that fits you and your characteristic sensitivities, in your current state
- Ten people with the same conventional diagnosis within e.g. skin issues, may be recommended ten different homoeopathic remedies: according to the symptoms and the individual's experience of these symptoms, in each case
Homoeopathy can be safely combined with other approaches, and will not interfere with conventional medicine you may be taking. However:
- I strongly recommend that you do not stop taking allopathic drugs without first consulting you doctor
- When you start noticing improvements in your health condition during the course of homoeopathy, you might need to discuss decreasing your intake of allopathic pharmaceuticals with you doctor; but I do not recommend doing this without guidance from your physician
What should I consider before seeing a homoeopath?
In today's modern society, most things are expected to/rewarded for having a high pace: we want everything to happen quickly and efficiently, also regarding our health;
We want quick-fixes that can remove the problem immediately - the one pill that removes the health issues there and then, in order to continue our daily activities unhindered;
But our health - and bodies - do not necessarily work that way!
If you have suffered from a health issue for a long time, that you have put off addressing - or that you have masked with quick-fixes; these may have gotten a strong hold in you, and addressing the root of these may take time;
Homoeopathy is experienced differently on an individual level:
- Some experience a quick response to the homoeopathic remedy, and a few months is enough to restore balance: with consultations regularly to adjust the remedy choice and dosing (I am not happy until we are sure that a healthy inner balance is restored)
- Others have to wait longer for the awaited positive development to show itself; changes can be more vague, and layers of stagnations and/or imbalances that have built up over time have to be addressed one by one
- In each case, the homoeopathic medicine, together with the body's innate ability to bring about increased health and wellbeing, decide the pace and intensity of the process
You are the main player in your life! With homoeopathy as a means, you can choose to take the reins and responsibility for you own health: if you are prepared to invest determination, patience and value into the process, and whatever else you need to restore health and wellbeing;
- If you have had your health issues for a short while, you can expect swifter recovery when taking a homoeopathic remedy that suits your condition well
- But if your issues have lasted longer (several years/your whole life), and are part of an underlying chronic pattern, it takes longer to fully resolve them with homoeopathy
No matter the state, you will experience positive changes within the first weeks after having taken a well-chosen homoeopathic medicine - but it may take longer before we can conclude the course we have started.
What is expected of me when I make use of the homoeopathy services offered through this site?
For me to be able to help you as best I can, it is important that you:
- Attend your initial consultation with an open mind, ready for lots of questions: I ask about stuff you are probably not used to from health professionals
- Are prepared to attend follow-ups for at least the next 6 months: I need to keep track of your responses to the homoeopathic remedy to know whether I have chosen a remedy that is right for you, in the right dose and potency (strength)
- Are patient with the process: I allow for 2-4 weeks in between each follow-up (max 60 min), because homoeopathic medicines can work on us for weeks - even months - at a time; often without there being clearly distinctive changes from day to day
I recommend a course for follow-ups depending on the type of symptoms you present with, and your overall health condition; but you must decide for yourself how often you wish to seek my guidance:
- It may take a few attempts for me to recommend the best suited remedy for you
- There are thousands of homoeopathic medicines: even though I have great tools and methods to assist me, there may be pieces of the puzzle that I have not quite managed to fit together yet
- I will keep asking you about these aspects in the next consultation, and adjust my recommendations in accordance with my deeper understanding of your individual symptom picture
- I am not happy with the choice of remedy until you notice solid positive changes!
Make the changes that you need to take care of your health:
- You know yourself best: respect your needs
- Are you struggling with changes on your own? I am happy to guide you, or just listen if you need someone to share with/talk to
- I might have tips and advice that I know have worked well for myself or others; or I might know of someone else who can help you - if I am not qualified in the specific are of concern
How often should I book an appointment?
From my experience so far, the best course for most of the individuals who come to see me is:
- We may start with a short (10 min) or longer (60 min) consultation, online or over the phone, if you have questions about homoeopathy in general; and what this approach may entail for you
- We meet online or at my place of service for the initial consultation (90 min)
- After the initial consultation I work with the information I have received from you, and recommend a homoeopathic medicine for you to get hold of - and for us to work with
- Once you have obtained the homoeopathic medicine I have recommended based on your symptom picture, you book a follow-up consultation (max 60 min) for 3-4 weeks down the line - after you have taken the remedy
- In the follow-up I ask about your process so far, and make adjustments in the choice of remedy when indicated; we may also decide to wait and see - if there have been more vague responses that I wish to await the unfolding of, or your body seems to still be working with the stimulus it has received
- We continue this way until we are happy with your response to the remedy I have recommended (it may take a few attempts with different remedies);
- Then the need for follow-ups may be less frequent, or we continue with 3-4 weekly intervals, depending on your preferences; plus sessions in-between, when you feel the need for guidance
- When clear and lasting changes have taken place in you, we can decrease the frequency of consultations gradually: monthly, every other month, a couple of months in between, and - when we are happy with the outcome: yearly consultations to make sure that you are noe regressing into imbalance
- Often we see the need to repeat the remedy after a while, or when challenging experiences cross our life-paths
A course like this, with more frequent consultation in the beginning, allows me to get to know you and your responses to the homoeopathic medicine(s): and to support and guide you in the best possible way;
Also, it facilitates you getting to know the process that homoeopathy entails;
As you become increasingly familiar with homoeopathy, and we see the awaited positive responses to the homoeopathic medicine(s), we naturally adjust the course accordingly